21st IFFK BLOG

(Maintained by IFFK Media Cell)

Friday 9 December 2016

Discrepancies shown to the movies can’t be digested: Jiri Menzel

‘I don’t agree with the mismatch between festival movies and commercial movies. I don’t even able to comprehend this ranking despite being served as the jury of numerous film festivals, says Jiri Menzel, renowned Czech film maker and Oscar Award recipient. Jiri Menzel has come to receive the Life time Achievement Award of the 21st International Film Festival of Kerala. 
Menzel opined that any work of art is to entertain ordinary folk. Being an ordinary man, he loves capturing perennial themes in his films. Jiri Menzel responds to the IFFK Media Cell.

Q) Irony, humour and sorrow are the preoccupying themes of your movies. What prompted you to delineate these motifs?
A) I like depicting men of real flesh and blood. I have been extensively influenced by the eminent Czech writers Bohumil Hrabal and Vladislav Vancura right from the prime of my movie making. I love humorous movies as humour is the be all and end all of my very entity. ‘Closely watched Train’ is a movie couched in sexual humour. The true poetry of this movie, if it has any, lies not in the absurd situations themselves, but in their juxtaposition with obscenity and tragedy.
Q) What is the major contentment in your life?
A) Oscar award made me glad. The real matter of ecstasy for me lies in the making of a movie on me by my friend Shivendra Singh Dungarpur.
Q) Do you enjoy watching Indian movies?
A) I have lot of friends in the vista of Indian Cinema. Shivendra Singh Dungarpur, one of my friends told me to watch Shaukeen movie directed by Basu Chatterjee. I was stupefied to know that it is the remake of my movie ‘Capricious Summer’.
Q) How do you view IFFK?
 I have been to India many times. My yearning to have a glimpse of Kerala is materialized now in the form of this fiesta. I have come with my family to view the scenes, greenery and scenery of Green Kerala.

No comments:

Post a Comment